Perched on the edge of the village with attractive views from almost every window, this stunning house is without doubt one of Kinver's most prominent properties. The immaculate and generously proportioned accommodation is further enhanced by plentiful parking, garaging and beautiful gardens.
Some History: The village of Kinver had its own Grammar School until 1915 and records would suggest that it was first founded in 1511 as a school kept by a Chantry Priest. The school continued until Chantries were dissolved under Edward VI and listed amongst the seized Chantry property was a tenement in Kinver called 'the Scholehouse' in the tenure of Robert Vincent. Research shows that this was almost certainly the house that now stands at 1 Dark Lane. The people of Kinver were determined to maintain a Grammar School within the village and somehow managed to have the school re-endowed, with the school house being given back to the school by Robert Vincent's son in 1591.
The house as it stands today comprises two distinct buildings, the original 16th century timber frame building with its wood mullioned windows, exposed timbers, a continuous first floor jetty and jettied attic gables, handsomely juxtaposed by a brick built wing to the east of the property dating from the 1830's. This Georgian extension with its high ceilings and sash windows is consistent with records that show the school increasing its intake during this period. The property was subject to a thorough restoration in the early 1970's which resulted in a European Heritage Award in 1975, whilst the current owners have lovingly maintained and enhanced this fabulous Grade II listed property during their 19 year tenure.
The Accommodation: Whilst a brick paved driveway to the side of the house leads up to a parking area and garaging, a flight of brick steps at the front lead up through a fore garden playfully planted with intricate box hedging inspired by the Tudor knot gardens, to a gabled wrought iron porch and panelled front door. A small entrance lobby with a tiled floor has panelled doors off to the study and main reception hall. The study has mullioned windows to the front and side elevations, exposed timbers and a large open fireplace with a substantial stone surround which is mirrored in the reception hall but there fitted with a wood burning stove. Further panel doors radiate off from the reception hall with its mullioned window, oak floor boards and exposed timbers, to the living room, dining room, dining kitchen, a ground floor cloakroom fitted with a low flush WC and wash basin and stairs down to a useful wine cellar. A glazed door opens to the rear garden and a sweeping staircase rises to the first floor landing.
The living room and dining room can both be found within the Georgian wing of the house and benefit from double glazed sash windows and high ceilings with deep cornicing. The dining room has an open fireplace with a cast iron surround and sash windows to the front and side elevation, with the side facing window also being fitted with shutters. The living room has an open fireplace with a timber surround and sash windows overlooking the rear garden to the side and rear elevations with the side facing window again benefitting from fitted shutters.
The dining kitchen is fitted with a range of floor units with work surfaces incorporating a double bowl sink unit and electric hob, whilst a four oven Aga is set within a deep inglenook fireplace. There are exposed timbers to the walls and ceiling, a large mullioned window to the side elevation, an oak door opens to the rear porch which in turn has a glazed door out to the garden and the tiled floor leads through to the utility room with two feature brick framed windows to the side elevation. The utility room has a window to the rear elevation and is fitted with a range of floor units with space and plumbing for a washing machine and work surfaces incorporating a single drainer sink unit. There are also doors off to a pantry and the boiler cupboard.
The staircase from the reception hall rises up to a galleried landing with a mullioned window to the rear elevation and panel doors off to four double bedrooms and a further staircase rising up to the attic rooms. A secondary landing with oak floorboards and timbers to the walls and ceiling has a mullioned window to the west elevation and two additional windows to the east elevation, an open fireplace with cast iron surround and oak doors to two separate bathrooms, both fitted with full suites comprising a bath, shower enclosure, low flush WC and wash basin. The two bedrooms in the Georgian wing benefit from double glazed sash windows, open fireplaces with cast iron surrounds and picture rails, whilst the bedrooms in the main house have exposed timbers to the walls and ceilings, mullioned windows, oak floorboards, exposed wattled panels and open fireplaces with impressive stone surrounds. One of the bedrooms has a small dressing room off whilst the wall timbers in the other bedroom still retain evidence of historic floral patterning. The attic comprises four interconnected rooms which provide superb storage space and scope for additional bedrooms if required.
Outside: The brick paved driveway to the side of the house leads on to a parking area and a detached garage and workshop. Electrically operated roller doors open to an enclosed car port on one side and a tandem garage on the other with double doors to the rear opening to the garden and a door through to a workshop which also has a door out to the garden. The beautiful garden is yet another stunning feature of this fabulous home and provides a private and peaceful haven, further comprising paved seating areas, manicured lawns, well stocked flower beds, a fruit and vegetable garden enclosed by box hedging, a living hazel bench and a selection of specimen trees to include a quince, weeping mulberry and a Nottingham medlar.
Owner's Reflections: 'We have loved living in The Old Grammar School House, the true beauty of the house is in its warmth and character. Over the years, we have come to realise that visitors feel these attributes too. We have been happy here. When we come home, the house and the garden feel like an oasis of calm in a busy world, but it is time for us to start a new chapter in our lives and for the house to welcome in new custodians.'
Location: Kinver village is a popular destination for those wanting to enjoy a semi rural location but with the convenience of local amenities. The village provides schooling for all age ranges as well as a good selection of independent shops, pubs and eateries. Lying adjacent to the National Trust owned Kinver Edge, the village provides easy access to beautiful countryside whilst also being well placed for commuting to Birmingham, the Black Country and North Worcestershire. Being approximately 20 miles west of Birmingham, 13 miles south of Wolverhampton and 20 miles north of Worcester, Kinver is served by a good motorway network with excellent links to the M5, M6, M40 and M42, Birmingham International Airport is approximately 45 minutes away and the main line train station in Stourbridge has regular services to and from Worcester, Malvern, Birmingham and London.
Schooling: The village is fortunate to benefit from infant and primary schooling as well as having a high school and sixth form. The independent sector is also well catered for locally with a fine selection of schools available nearby in Stourbridge, Kidderminster, Chaddesley Corbett, Bromsgrove and Worcester.
Services: All main services are connected with central heating being provided via a gas boiler.
Local Authority: South Staffordshire Council
Council Tax: Band H
For further details on this property please call us on: 01384 878000